Travellers worldwide selected these airports as the best in the world for the year 2020.
This is the eighth consecutive year that Singapore Changi attained this distinction. This makes it the eleventh time throughout the award’s 21-year history.
These are the airports which have made it to the top ten this year, along with the other awards they have won.
01. Singapore Changi Airport
- World’s Best Airport Leisure Amenities
- Best Airport: 60-70 million passengers
- Best Airport in Asia
- Best Airport Hotel in Asia (Crowne Plaza Changi Airport)
- World’s Best Airport Hotel (Crowne Plaza Changi Airport)
02. Tokyo Haneda Airport
- World’s Best PRM / Accessible Facilities
- World’s Best Domestic Airport
- Best Airport: 70+ million passengers
- World’s Cleanest Airport
03. Hamad International Airport Doha
- Best Airport in the Middle East
- Best Airport: 30-40 million passengers
- Best Airport Staff in the Middle East
04. Incheon International Airport
- World’s Best Transit Airport
- World’s Best Airport Terminal (Seoul Incheon – T2)
05. Munich Airport
- Best Airport in Central Europe
- Best Airport: 40-50 million passengers
- Best Airport in Europe
06. Hong Kong International Airport
- World’s Best Airport Immigration Service
07. Narita International Airport
- World’s Best Airport Dining
08. Central Japan International Airport (Centrair Nagoya)
- Best Regional Airport in Asia
- World’s Best Regional Airport
- Best Airport: 10-20 million passengers
09. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
- Best Airport in Western Europe
10. Kansai International Airport
- Best Airport Staff in Asia
- World’s Best Airport Staff
- World’s Best Airport for Baggage Delivery
“Changi Airport is humbled to receive this affirmation from our travellers, made possible by the strong support from our airport partners. This has been a challenging year for all us (sic). Like everyone else, here at Changi, we continue to do our best to safeguard and protect the health of our travellers, our visitors and our airport workers.” Changi Airport Group CEO Lee Seow Hiang said in an interview.
Skytrax CEO Edward Plaisted also congratulated Singapore Changi for their achievement.
“For Singapore Changi Airport to be voted the World’s Best Airport title for eight consecutive years is a truly remarkable achievement and demonstrates a simply fantastic level of consistency. Singapore Changi Airport remains a very popular choice with customers and delights at nearly all points in the airport journey, and it is this attention to detail that proves so popular.” Plaisted said.
The annual survey and the award winners for 2020 have been finalised as early as March. However, the awards event scheduled for 1 April in Paris was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Having deferred the award announcements for nearly six weeks, we felt it was now right to try and bring some cheer into the airport industry in these difficult times,” Plaisted added.
The World Airport Awards
The World Airport Awards began in 1999 upon the launch of Skytrax’s first global airport customer satisfaction survey. This year, customers of over 100 nationalities participated in deciding the award winners among over 550 airports included in the survey.
The customer satisfaction survey asks travellers to evaluate their experiences across different airport service and product key performance indicators. Some of these indicators include check-ins, ease-of-access, shopping, waiting times, security, and immigration.