EZ-Link Pte Ltd, pioneer of contactless payments in Singapore, today unveiled the newest iteration of the EZ-Link card, designed to bring more ease and convenience to commuters. Using an account-based ticketing system, these new EZ-Link cards provide commuters with a seamless travel experience and improved digital services, while offering lifestyle-centric features catered to their daily needs.
“EZ-Link is a longtime advocate of e-payments. Together with our recent EZ-Link Wallet launch and rebranding, the new account-based EZ-Link cards are part of our broader transformation roadmap to strengthen our digital ecosystem,” said Mr. Nicholas Lee, CEO of EZ-Link Pte Ltd.
The launch of these EZ-Link cards, which are dedicated for use in public transport, follows a successful pilot trial for some 3,000 EZ-Link mobile app users that was carried out in September last year. Over 80% of participants surveyed indicated that they had a positive experience using the card. The ease of performing top-ups for family members and oneself anytime and anywhere, without the need for the physical card via the EZ-Link mobile app, was cited as the most liked feature of the new account-based EZ-Link card. Commuters also liked that they were able to track transport spending, receive low balance notifications and earn rewards for all transactions made.
For the best user experience, commuters should link their account-based EZ-Link cards to the EZ-Link mobile app, which can be downloaded on the App Store, Google Play Store or Huawei AppGallery. They will be able to enjoy benefits like:
- Contactless and remote top-ups: Top-ups can now be done remotely to such EZ-Link cards in real time for commuters and family members without the presence of physical cards. No more time wasted queuing at physical top-up channels.
- Seamless Auto Top-Up application: Apply for Auto Top-Up function via the app without having to make a trip to the General Ticketing Machine or TransitLink Ticket Office.
- Get rewarded with every ride: Earn EZ-Link Rewards points for every transaction made with the card and redeem from over 100 merchants via the app.
- Manage travel budgets better: Keep track of your transport spending via the app.
- Receive instant updates: Get notified via push notifications for every transaction made and when there is low or insufficient balance as card balances will no longer be displayed on bus fare reader and train gantries.
- Enhanced Security: Blocking of lost cards to prevent unauthorized usage and loss of remaining card balance will only take 30 minutes to take effect, compared to up to 48 hours previously.
The updated EZ-Link cards can no longer be used for motoring payments such as ERP and carpark charges, as they are not currently compatible with existing In-vehicle Units. Motorists can continue using their existing EZ-Link cards without updating, and are encouraged to link their cards to the EZ-Link app to enjoy greater benefits and digital services for their motoring needs.
The account-based EZ-Link cards can be purchased from 28 January 2021 at all TransitLink Ticket Offices for $12. These cards include a stored value of $7, and can be identified by a sticker on the back of the card (see Image 1). Commuters can also update their existing EZ-Link cards and charms at General Ticketing Machines, Add Value Machines, Top-Up Machines and TransitLink Ticket Offices islandwide. Existing EZ-Link cards that have been updated to the account-based ticketing system will not receive a sticker on the back of the card but the change will be automatically reflected in the EZ-Link app if the card is linked (see Image 1). Alternatively, this can also be verified at the General Ticketing Machines.
For more information on the account-based EZ-Link card, please visit here.
 These benefits and digital services include tracking transactions, applying for Auto Top-Up, and card blocking.
About EZ-Link Pte Ltd
Established in 2002, EZ-Link is a pioneer in contactless payments in Singapore with the EZ-Link card being its core product offering. EZ-Link remains the top choice for contactless prepaid card payment in Singapore with more than 40 million cards issued to date. Synonymous with transit payments in Singapore, EZ-Link has since expanded its offerings and is widely used for shopping, dining, private transport, government services and community services at more than 30,000 acceptance points across the island. EZ-Link continues to be at the forefront of digital inclusion, bringing all Singaporeans, young and old, onto the nation’s cashless journey. For more information, please visit www.ezlink.com.sg.